Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Ukag's Mercenaries and Graaz the Savage (December entry in the OWAC)

So my first month of the challenge was a busy one, what with a 20 figures unit plus a Doom Diver, so I figured I needed maybe a slightly less busy month. 

My December entry is pure Oldhammer, with a trio of maybe the most iconic figures ever produced by Citadel Miniatures, the famous Jes Goodwin's Ogres mercenaries. 

Ukag's Mercenaries


These guys are exactly how I imagine Ogres, with their touch of oriental/slavic armour and fashions. While my Goblin's colour scheme is a very colourful triad of yellow, orange and red, I wanted these guys to have a more somber, "business" look, while still fitting in the army. Consequently I used yellow and red to tie them the army, but offset by greys and dark green. I'm super happy with them, it's been a while since I've been that satisfied with a unit. I also had a perfectly sized movement trays for these guys, I'll need to order some more for all my units. Convenient and nice looking.

Boss Ukag himself, maybe my favourite miniature ever

For Ukag, the Mercenary Boss, I couldn't resist doing some stripped pants, as is almost mandatory with the model, and I'm quite happy with the results. The big yellow emblem really gives him a dash of colours on an otherwise subdued scheme.

Then we have "Mace" Nakog; I had to do one of the Ogres in a Christmas colour scheme, just had to!

"Mace" Nakog


And the third Ogre, Gurot the Butcher, a fantastic figure which was a lot of fun to paint. The mix of grey and yellow works really well I think, more than I first anticipated! 

Gurot the Butcher



And to finish this month in style, here is Graaz the Savage, the General of my army. It's the only figure of the project more recent than 1992, and comes from the Oldhammer inspired GreenSkins Wars from Knightmare Miniatures (Goblin fans have a look at their ranges there's a lot of awesome pieces). The figure is a bit bigger than the other goblins in my collection (although all were sculpted by Gobbo master Kev Adams) but it works perfectly as "DA Big Boss" of my army. It's also very Forest Goblin in it's style. 


So, for December :
  • 3 Ogres w light armour and 2 handed weapons : 132 pts
  • Forest Goblin Warlord : 50 pts
Total : 182pts

4 comments:

  1. Love those ogres. Some of the best sculps ever. Got quite a few in my own collection somewhere

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fine job on some of the best ogres ever produced by GW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed these when they came up on the OWAC. I'm still on the fence about the overall proportions of the Knightmare stuff, but a larger size boss does make sense.

    ReplyDelete