Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Last bits to an Epic challenge (30K, Epic Style Part V)

On one foot you limp; on two feet you sprint.

I finished two Epic models in time for the end of the painting challenge.

First was the "Curtgeld", which is the price of admission into the painting challenge. Every year, we must paint a figure related to a particular theme for Curt's, the organizer of the challenge, collection. This year, the theme was cooperation and teamwork, so we had to submit a collaborative piece or entry. I got together with Greg, fellow canadian, enthusiastic wargamer and hobbyist and the man responsible for my Epic projet.

When Greg and I discussed our ideas for our all-canadian Curtgeld, our first ideas was Napoleonics, but we figured many would obviously go down this route, what with Curt"s obsession with the era! So I proposed a somewhat crazy ideas, which I figured we might be the only one to do; both of us painting the same figure. And in the spirit of the recent Epic projects, by me and Greg, but also by Curt with this Adeptus Mecanicus project, we settled on a Epic Warlord Titan.



So Greg painted the metal works and half of the Titan (the purple parts), and then send it to Montreal for me to do my half (the blue and yellow parts), and I was also in charge of the basing and the little add-ons like the Marines on the base. It was, for me at least, the very first time I work on a model that someone else started! I have to admit, it was a bit more difficult than I anticipated, as I was afraid to accidentally touch some of Greg's painting, which would be a much bigger problem than when I can easily retouch my own work.


The Warlord-class Titan is a large and powerful type of Battle Titan, armed with much more firepower than its counterpart, the smaller Reaver-class Titan. The Warlord is the most common class of Battle Titan in use by the Titan Legions during the Heresy, and many Adeptus Mechanicus Forge Worlds field their own patterns of this class. Due to their immense size, Warlord Titans are not nearly as fast or agile as the Reaver-class Titans or the Warhound Scout Titans, but they more than make up for this failing with their sheer firepower and heavily armoured bulks. This thing is big, this think is massive, this thing will blow shit up!


This model is straight from the early Adeptus Titanicus boxset of the late 80s, one of the multi-part plastic models from the game. We kept it old school, even including the void shield wheels in the base. I included a few Space Marines on the base to give the model a sense of scale and size.


We think this massive war machine will fit in very nicely in Curt's Epic force, even more so since Greg has been painting Titans left and right during this challenge, and Curt will probably need some extra firepower next time he gets to face Greg's legions!


This got me 30 pts.

It was not in my plans to paint anything else than the Curtgeld this week-end; I'm really burned out by the challenge. But Curt did last week challenge me to a last second sprint to the end, and I felt I had to give it my best!

So I managed to paint another Epic piece, as my last stand in the 7th Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge!





How I react when Curt challenges me with one week left to the challenge...


So here is a Legion Glaive Tank for my Emperor's Children force. The Glaive is a super-heavy tank pattern related to the Fellblade, but beyond the obvious surface similarities the two tanks are very different. The reason for this divergence lies with the Glaive's primary weapon system, the fearsome and arcane Volkite Carronade, a massive Volkite Weapon that is capable of destroying enemy vehicles in a single shot. Volkite Weapons produce a deflagrating attack, in which subsonic combustion caused by a beam of thermal energy is propagated through the target by thermodynamic heat transfer, so that hot burning material heats the next layer of cold material and ignites it. The Volkite Carronade used by the Glaive was able to make short work of all but the most heavily armoured enemy vehicles and structures.





In short, it's a massively dangerous metal beast! I followed of course the painting shceme of my Emperor's Children force, but gave the glaive white details on the turret instead of the gold I used on the Fellblades to make the model stand apart from my other super heavies. I'm not entirely happy with my work on the Volkite cannon, but it will do.

Those two entrys gave me 37 points. The Challenge is now over, I'll do a post detailing the experience, but I'm very happy with my hobby output for these first three months of the year. Even on the Blog front, this is my 14th post of the year, which equals what I did all last year!

10 comments:

  1. Great idea for the Curtgeld. Nice finish to the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Iannick - that was a fun project, and you finished it magnificently!!! Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed your Curtgeld Submission, it was a nice idea to go the way you went. And that Fellblade looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look very nice, also where did you get the Heresy Era equipment and guys?

    ReplyDelete