Thursday, September 4, 2014

Chaos Lord

The new day revealed the walls of Praag, standing defiantly against the invader. From an engine platform on the outer palisade wall of the siege lines a lone Champion of Chaos watched the dawn rise behind the city. He stood quite motionless, heedless of any bowfire from the walls above, apparently uncaring as to who might see him 

The very last figure I bought directly from GW was a Lord of Nurgle mounted figure. I was already  into historicals by then, but while browsing paints at my local gamestore the figure caught my eye and I remember thinking it was the best thing I had seen from GW in years (I've since learned that it was sculpted by Jes Goodwin, explains the attraction!). It was really an impulse buy (a really expensive impulse buy come to think of it). I never got around to paint it, just the assembling seemed daunting, and so it went in the "I'll paint it one day" bin.

When I started my Chaos project it was the first thing I painted. A bizarre choice I will admit, as it is not an Oldhammer figure by any stretch, and because I never start with characters when doing a new project. However the figure, apart from being awesome, represented an interesting challenge. Those multi-parts pieces were my bane as a youngster, and usually they would end up unassembled in their boxes. I was notoriously bad (I still am, but now I can manage) at using miliput and such, and I was also impatient. Just a bad combination for assembling and painting those big multi-parts figures which Games Worshop loved to torture me with! So it's the perfect piece to keep up with one of my main objective; to do now what I could not as a child.

As it happens often, many pieces did not fit properly and so I had to use quite a bit of green stuff to put the whole thing together. Ah, thanks Games Workshop for the memories!  


Quite a nice figure to paint I must say. The horse was actually painted using two very very old pots of my original set of Citadel paints! Yes, two decades later and still usable!
24 years later...in those days, stuff was meant to last ;-)

Don't ask me what colour they were as I have no idea! I used these as base coat and first highlights, and then applied a generous coat of AP on top
 

As for the actual Lord, the robe was painted using Napoleonic French gun colours...It's great when your two passions collide!


While "officially" a Nurgle Lord, I intend to use him as the Chaos Lord of my Chaos army.

2 comments:

  1. Très bon ce nouveau blog. J'avoue que ton projet m'a pas mal ouvert les esgourdes cette année et je me suis déjà replongé avec délice dans certains des blogs que tu mentionnes. Mais soyons lucide, tous ça ne serait pas très raisonnable pour moi.

    Cependant, la dernière fois que je suis passé en France, j'en est profité pour exhumer quelques vieilles figs que j'ai ramené sur Montréal. J'en ai retrouvé deux que j'avais toujours conservées précieusement, intactes, vierges de toute poisseuse peinture adolescente. Ceux sont deux champions archers marauders, dans le style de ceux qu'on trouvait à l'époque dans Seigneurs de Guerre, ceux avec les crêtes de punk, je n'ai jamais pu compléter la bataillon, mais la sculpture est splendide. D'après mes recherches récentes, je crois qu'elles sont assez rares. Bref, si elles t'intéressent, je pense qu'elles ne sauraient trouver meilleurs emploi que dans cette armée.
    Bientôt sur tes deux jambes à nouveau ? À bientôt en tout cas.

    Nico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Nico. Si j'ai pu donner la picture nostalgique à un autre gamer, tant mieux ;-) Même si tu ne peux investir, tu pourras sûrement jouer lorsque j'aurai plus d'une armée!

      Pour les deux archers Marauders, je suis sûrement intéressé; je suis à collectionner cette unité, si tu parles des figures que je pensent.

      Pour la jambe, on attends. Je ne me m'avance plus parce que j'ai eu de la malchance et plusieurs complications! Il semble finalement y avoir du progrès alors je touche du bois, peut-etre d'ici un mois ou deux je vais finalement être rétablis. Mais bon avec ma chance peut-être pas! Je vous tiens au courant toi et John, je suis bien tanné et j'ai bien hâte d'être fonctionnel à nouveau et de pouvoir organiser une partie!

      Delete