Monday, October 6, 2014

Nature's wrath!

Fear nature's wrath, for it has the eternal strength of stone and the endurance of mountains

Something a tad different today, as it is neither Chaos nor Citadel/Marauder. It is my entry in the Classic mini Painting Challenge of the Old School Miniatures Facebook Group. At first I thought of entering a Chaos Champion, but the group is more oriented towards the other Old School manufacturers (Grenadiers, Ral Partha, etc.) and I wanted to find something to match that. While looking through my old lead pile I found a Ral Partha Earth Elemental, a sculpt I always loved but was always a bit intimidated to paint. Perfect opportunity, I thought. 


I procrastinated a bit however and started the project two days before the dealine, so I worked really hard to finish him in time. Actually I finished him 15 minutes before the dealine! Just like my College days, I do awesome work under pressure!
It was a somewhat difficult piece to paint as it's one solid block of stone, so I really had to get the stone look right, because there's nothing to hide it if done wrong! However, I felt that the figure definitely needed some foliage so I added moss to the figure using greenstuff and sand.



The figure could be a tad bigger, and I really wanted him to look mighty and powerful, so I worked extra hard on making a base worthy of its power. I used this as an opportunity to experiment with cork tiles to simulate rocks, something I learned just recently from Rusty Gouldman from the Facebook Oldhammer group. I wanted to make it look as if the creature was surging from a mountain top, and I must say I am very pleased with how it came out.




This figure is my favourite elemental sculpt ever and I have every intention of using him eventually in future Oldhammer games, when I have an army of good guys. Some may not remember, but Greater Elementals (level 10) were one of the few creatures able to stand toe to toe with Chaos Greater Daemons in Warhammer 3rd edition. These things were uber-powerful! 


I always loved that nature itself when pissed enough could give Chaos a run for its money. That's just pure Old School fantasy.



No comments:

Post a Comment